- Free standard delivery
- Best price guaranteed
- Fast same-day shipping
- Over 20 years experience
- Family-run business
BS 4163:2021 Health and safety for design and technology in educational and similar establishments. Code of practice
|Format (Paperback, Hardback etc)||A4|
|Brand / Publisher||BSI|
Health and safety for design and technology in educational and similar establishments. Code of practice
What is BS 4163:2021 about?
This well-established and widely used British Standard gives health and safety advice to anyone responsible for the planning, equipment and machinery used in design and technology facilities in educational settings. BS 4163:2021 is a restructured and updated version of the standard.
Who is BS 4163:2021 for?
- Secondary schools
- Further education institutes
- Local authorities
- Teacher training establishments
- Manufacturers/distributors of machinery for use in educational establishments
- Architects/designers of educational buildings
What does BS 4163:2021 cover?
It provides recommendations and comprehensive guidance to whomever is responsible for planning services, equipment and machinery – and for people who might use these – in design and technology facilities in all types of educational establishments.
The recommendations cover the supply and safe use of equipment, machine tools and materials and chemicals, as well as personal protection and safety management, with particular reference to the hazards involved.
Design and technology facilities include all teaching areas and preparation areas where materials are manipulated and processed, equipment is used and design and/or manufacturing takes place, e.g. food, catering, textiles, graphics, electronics, technology, craft, engineering, manufacturing, woodworking of all types, vocational workshops, motor vehicle workshops and computer areas.
Why should you use BS 4163:2021?
- It contributes to the prevention of accidents and dangerous occurrences in the design and technology areas of educational establishments
- It’s the only standard that ties together all current H&S legislation, Codes of Practice and Guidance into one easily read and understood document
- It supports the quality-assured training and accreditation scheme run by the Design and Technology Association (D&T)
- It assures employers that their employees are appropriately trained in accordance with H&S legislation
- It can develop teachers’ H&S expertise and risk management
- This revision ensures that BS 4163:2021 is up to date
What’s new about BS 4163:2021?
This is an extensive revision of BS 4163:2014. The significant technical changes in BS 4163:2021 include:
- Complete restructure to make it easier to navigate the document
- Updates to the training requirements of supervisory staff
- Updates across all areas of ventilation requirements, particularly heat treatment areas, in line with IGEM updates
- Requirements for CO2 monitoring for new or refurbished facilities
- Updated guidance regarding the risks from welding and strengthened advice on fume controls when working with hot metals
- Guidance regarding the latest requirements for gas in schools
- Updated section on general guidance for plastics
- Updated guidance on the use of Computer Operated Equipment, plus a greater distinction between different types
- Updated section on injection and extrusion moulding machines (which may include 3D printer systems)
- Clarified requirements for fixed electrical servicing
- Updated requirements for portable appliance testing
- Updated references to RPE and PPE throughout, including clarification on types of mask/eye protection
- More detail on COSHH requirements for materials and processes
- Improvement of risk details for noise and HAVs
- Updated Work Exposure Limit
- Updated advice regarding the use of table routers with single piece cutters
- Separation of metal sawing equipment (with cutting discs, abrasive discs, power hacksaws, metal cutting bandsaws)
- Updated awareness of sensitizing risks from metalworking fluids and other materials
- Changes to use of barrier creams
- Clarified requirements for guarding across all machines
- Updated advice regarding isocyanate spraying
- Clarification of the need for checks of lifting gear in motor vehicle workshops
BS 4163:2021 contributes to UN Sustainable Development Goal 3 on ensuring healthy lives and promoting well-being for all at all ages.